Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
Sesame Chicken (Return of the Phoenix)
(Serves 3 to 4)
1 pound chicken breast, boneless and skinless
Marinade for chicken:
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons rock sugar, crushed
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon regular soy sauce
4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
4 cups oil for deep-frying
1 cup tapioca starch
6 dried red chili peppers
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
Garnish: tomato rose and a few sprigs of cilantro leaves
To Prepare Ahead:
- Slice chicken across the grain into pieces 1/4 inch thick. Transfer chicken slices to a mixing bowl. Add marinade ingredients and toss to coat thoroughly. Let stand for 15 minutes or longer in the refrigerator.
- Combine seasoning sauce ingredients together.
- Toast white and black sesame seeds together in a skillet over medium heat until the white ones turn lightly brown.
- Heat 4 cups oil in a wok 375 degrees F. Sprinkle tapioca starch over chicken slices and coat well. Deep-fry half of the chicken until golden brown. Remove with a strainer and drain on paper towels. Repeat the deep-frying process for the other half of the chicken.
- Remove hot oil to a heat-proof container. Clean and dry the wok. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok over high heat. Add chili peppers and garlic, stirring for a few seconds.
- Add chicken to the wok. Pour in the seasoning sauce. Turn heat to medium and stir until the liquid almost gone.
- Add green onions and remove to a serving platter. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Garnish and serve.
© Dorothy Huang, 2005
As Houston, Texas’ renowned Chinese cooking teacher, Dorothy Huang (firstname.lastname@example.org) has taught thousands of people to embrace Chinese cooking in their homes. Her second cookbook, Chinese Cuisine, Made Simple, includes 160 mouth-watering recipes and beautiful color photographs.