Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
SmartBran™ Fruit & Flax Muffins
Considering that this recipe is vegan—it has no butter or eggs—it has amazingly good texture and is very light.
1 1/4 c. SmartBran™ cereal
1 3/4 c. unsweetened apple juice
5 tbs. Nature’s Path® Flax Plus™ Flaxseed Meal**
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. unbleached white flour
1 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground allspice or cardamom
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/3 c. vegetable oil (plus more for greasing muffin tins)
1/3 c. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. dried cranberries, blueberries or raisins
1. Set rack in center and preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a small bowl, stir SmartBran™ into 1 cup juice and set aside for 15 minutes to soften.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
4. Grease 12 standard muffin tins with oil.
5. In a medium bowl, beat flax meal with remaining 3/4 cup apple juice for 1 minute. Blend in oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add SmartBran™ with unabsorbed juice and beat for 30 seconds. Pour liquid into dry ingredients. Add cranberries. Stir until just blended; do not over mix.
6. Divide batter among muffins tins. Bake for 7 minutes. Rotate muffins tins front to back. Continue baking until muffins spring back to a gentle touch and a cake tester inserted into the centers comes out clean, 8 to 10 minutes longer.
7. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife along the edges and un-mold. Cool to room temperature and eat within a few hours, or freeze for up to 4 months.
Yield: 12 muffins
* This recipe suitable for vegan diets.
** Or grind 3 tbs. of whole flaxseed.
Go to www.naturespath.com for other recipes.
Lorna Sass is the author of WHOLE GRAINS EVERY DAY, EVERY WAY, which won a 2007 James Beard Foundation Award in the "healthy focus" category. Her website is www.lornasass.com. Sass is also the author of Pressure Perfect: Two Hour Taste in Twenty Minutes Using Your Pressure Cooker.