Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
shrimp in lettuce wraps
1 pound shrimp in shells
!/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 cups cooking oil
1 ounce cellophane noodles, loosened
1 cup chopped water chestnuts
1 cup chopped green beans
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
½ cup chopped green onions
8 Boston lettuce leaves, washed and drained
Garnish: 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper and 2 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
1. Shell, devein, rinse, and dice shrimp. Add ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Mix well.
2. Combine seasoning sauce ingredients in a bowl.
3. Heat 3 cups oil in a wok to 375 degrees F. Add cellophane noodles. When they puff up (in just 2 seconds), remove with a strainer on paper towels.
4.Remove oil from the wok to a heat-proof bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add water chestnuts and green beans. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove to a plate.
5. Wipe wok with paper towels. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the wok. Add garlic, ginger, green onions, and shrimp. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Return water chestnuts and green beans to the wok. Pour in seasoning sauce. Stir until it thickens. Remove.
6. Divide the shrimp mixture onto 8 lettuce cups (about 1/2 cup each.) Spread some fried noodles on top. Garnish with red bell pepper and sesame seeds.
© Dorothy Huang, 2005