Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
Cooking with Aleppo Peppers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb. cauliflower and broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ lb. Brussels sprouts
- 1 block firm tofu, cut into bite-size portions, drained well
- 1/3 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. white miso
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp. Aleppo pepper
- Kosher salt
- Toasted almonds, crushed
- Parsley (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 425oF.
- Prepare the vegetables. First, cut off the stems from the Brussels sprouts and discard. Separate outer leaves from the inner core of the sprout. Place outer leaves on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Slice inner core finely and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Next, cut the broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Place on the baking sheet together with Brussels sprouts leaves and tofu.
- To a mortar and pestle, add coriander seeds, pepper, and salt. Grind coarsely.
- Add the ground mixture to the baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to combine.
- Place baking pan inside the oven and roast the vegetables and tofu until slightly browned and tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. Toss halfway through.
- Once done, take out of the oven and let it cool.
- Combine olives, 1 tbsp. olive oil, and 1 tbsp. lemon juice to a medium bowl with Brussels sprouts and toss. Season with salt.
- Add miso, 2 tsp. sesame seeds, lemon juice, oil, and ¼ cup water in a blender and puree until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- In a mixing bowl, add roasted vegetables with tossed Brussels sprouts and spread over the dressing. Top with sesame seeds, almonds, and parsley. Serve.
This recipe serves 2.
Grilled Chicken with Aleppo Peppers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
- 4 lbs. chicken thighs, bones removed
- 2 cups whole-milk Greek yogurt, plain
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt, coarse
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tbsp. Aleppo pepper
- 12 cloves garlic, flattened and skins removed
- 2 lemons, unpeeled, cut into thin rounds
- Prepare the chicken by removing any excess fat on the skin. Pat dry after washing and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add 2 tbsp. hot water and 3 tbsp. Aleppo pepper. Stir gently. Let the peppers absorb the water for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Mix together yogurt, oil, vinegar, tomato paste, salt, and black pepper in a separate bowl. Stir the mixture thoroughly. Add the garlic and lemon slices and stir again.
- Add the chicken and stir thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and let the mixture chill at least an hour, or overnight if you prefer.
- Take out the chicken and let it rest at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the barbecue and set it to medium-high heat. Rub oil on the grills.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place on the barbecue and grill for about 6 minutes each side, or until well-cooked.
- Serve with lemon and garlic.
This recipe serves 8.