Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
October, 2008 eNewsletter
- New Cookware Store in the Portland, Oregon Area
- In Good Taste, Lake Oswego - Grand Opening Special - October 2008: We're offering a 10% discount on any cooking class in our new Lake Oswego location (in the Portland, Oregon, metro area) during the month of October. This promotion is open to all readers of Sally's Place eNewsletter and may not be used with other promotional offers. For more information or to register for a class, visit this link and use coupon code "SALLY" to receive your discount.
- Sally's Place Contributor Betty Fussell Pens New Book
- Raising Steaks: The Life & Times of American Beef by Betty Fussell. "Saddle up for a spirited ride across America on the trail of our most iconic food, as the author talks with everyone involved with beef, from cowboys, ranchers, butchers and captains of beef industry to steakhouse chefs. Learn how to choose, cook and savor America's prime food." BettyFussell.com
- The Dust is Evident in Rutherford by It's Time for Wine columnists Sara & Monty Preiser, as they explain the Rutherford Dust Society, a 14 year old group of growers and vintners dedicated to promoting the highest standards of wine production in the Rutherford viticulture area.
- Taking Time for Tea in San Diego, California where Sally covers seven tea rooms, resorts and hotels that offer Afternoon Tea in San Diego.
- Las Vegas – The New & The Surprising Gems discovered when Monty and Sara Preiser took the time to visit "off the beaten path" of Las Vegas.
- Dave's Gourmet
- Dave's Gourmet will be releasing a new hot sauce to its lineup of super-hot hot sauces named Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce. Dave's 2008 Special Edition Reserve was the first sauce made from the supremely hot Ghost Pepper/Naga Jolokia. The new sauce will have a somewhat different flavor from the reserve, with the same amazing heat. Get a bottle today, before supplies of this limited edition sauce run out! Also, keep an eye out for the 2009 Special Edition Reserve, which will be available soon.
- A website dedicated to Italian food and cooking. Features a large collection of authentic Italian recipes from Italian Chef Paolo Torre, cookbook reviews and articles on all things related to Italian cuisine.
- New Culinary Book
- Food Jobs: 150 Great Jobs for Culinary Students, Career Changers and Food Lovers by Irena Chalmers, highly respected food industry guru, is a must read for those interested in entering the nation's largest private-sector employer (second only to the federal government). You'll find Sally's Place on page 193 under "Food Writing on the Internet." Visit Irena's website at: foodjobsbook.com.
- Split Bean Coffee
- For Christmas Split Bean Coffee will be offering two new favorites, Mantecados and Polvorones. Both are spicy Andalusian shortbreads. One is nice and crispy and the other crumbles when you bite into it. They are using an old recipe dating to the late 1700's. 877.448.5185
Apple Month (National US); Caramel Month; Dessert Month (National US); Pasta Month; Pickled Pepper Month; Pizza Month (National US); Popcorn Poppin' Month (National US); Pretzel Month; Sausage Month; Seafood Month; Vegetarian Month.; Cookie Month; and Eat Country Ham Month.
October 1: Vegetarian Day (World); Homemade Cookies Day
October 7: Frappe Day (National)
October 9: Moldy Cheese Day
October 10: World Egg Day; National Angel Food Cake Day
October 12: Cookbook Launch Day; Farmer's Day
October 13: Columbus Day - Observed - US Legal Holiday
October 14: National Dessert Day
October 16: World Food Day
October 20: Brandied Fruit Day
October 21: National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day
October 22: National Nut Day
October 24: National Bologna Day
October 25: The microwave oven was introduced by The Tappan Company, 1955; World Pasta Day
October 26: National Mincemeat Day
October 28: Diwali—India holiday
October 30: National Candy Corn Day
October 31: Halloween; Carve a Pumpkin Day