Special Feature: Products Sally Recommends
October, 2009 eNewsletter
Sally's Place Specials
- La Tienda: The Best of Spain
- La Tienda.com was founded in the earliest days of the Internet. It has steadily grown until today, with over 700 items, they have the broadest selection of quality Spanish food and related products online. La Tienda is offering free standard shipping for orders over $99 until 12-midnight Eastern Time on Thursday, October 8th. Free shipping is not valid with any other offer and is available only in the Continental U.S. Use promotion code SPFSNL at La Tienda’s checkout page to receive your free shipping!
- The Vanilla.COMpany is a socially conscious business and tropical resource site, offering recipes, eco-tips, stories of success and hope, book reviews, postings on culinary and travel events, and much more. Purchase a copy of Vanilla: The Cultural History of the World's Favorite Flavor and Fragrance, written by Patricia Rain, Vanilla Queen, and you will additionally receive two free Bourbon vanilla beans for a fragrant beginning to your holiday culinary adventures. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- House to Rent in Napa, California
- The Highland House is a lovely, immaculately well-kept 2-bedroom vacation rental property, only two minutes from downtown Napa. Adjacent to the Silverado Trail, it offers convenient access to the Napa Valley and its treasures. Book two nights at the regular rate; add a weeknight for $99 or one week for $1,000 this fall. Mention "Sally's Place" in your inquiry and the owners will also extend the discounted rates beyond November. Consult their website for details.
Fall is the perfect time to kick back and enjoy the new books of the season. My choices can be enjoyed by you or you can think ahead to holiday gift giving. And #10 on the list hasn't even been published! Enjoy our 10 Best Fall Cookbooks of 2009...
- Bite-Size Desserts: Creating Mini Sweet Treats, from Cupcakes and Cobblers to Custards and Cookies, by Carole Bloom, showcases 87 recipes created for home bakers who want small desserts with big flavors. The color photos will make your mouth water!
- Wood-Fired Cooking: Techniques and Recipes for the Grill, Backyard Oven, Fireplace, and Campfire, by Mary Karlin, offers 100 recipes ranging from Plank-Roasted Porterhouse or Grilled Naan to a hearth-baked Milanese Risotto, Leek and Asparagus Tart or Warm Chocolate-Chipotle Cakes. Karlin is passionate about this growing trend.
- The New Portuguese Table, by David Leite, is a beautifully designed cookbook showcasing Leite's favorite recipes from home cooks and restaurant chefs in Portugal, Portuguese family and friends in the US, and his own kitchen experiments in New York.
- Weber's Way to Grill: The Step-by-Step Guide to Expert Grilling, by Jamie Purviance, showcases more than 160 delicious new recipes and over 1,000 step-by-step photos. This is a complete grilling technique book for both newcomers and the more experienced.
- Old Cookbook: With the success of the movie "Julie & Julia," the classic first volume of Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking enters the New York Times best-seller hardcover advice and how-to category book list at No. 1 on August 30th. To order your copy, click here.
- A Biblical Feast, by Kitty Morse, is an updated version inspired by the 84 primary foodstuffs mentioned in the Scriptures.
- The Bubbly Bar: Champagne and Sparkling Wine Cocktails for Every Occasion, by Maria C. Hunt, emphasizes intense flavor combinations, fresh ingredients, and minimal effort. The Bubbly Bar also explains how to choose the best champagne, sparkling shiraz, or Prosecco in every price range.
- The Deluxe Food Lover's Companion, by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst, is based on their popular and authoritative The New Food Lover’s Companion, first published in 1990. The updated version includes quotes; tip boxes, information on basic techniques and expanded glossaries totaling 6,700 entries. The new deluxe hardcover binding with dust jacket includes a ribbon place marker and golden-tipped page edges. Think holiday gift!
- Life Is Meals: A Food Lover's Book of Days, by James Salter & Kay Salter, is a "dinner book," a quirky cornucopia of recipes, historical notes, household hints, brief surveys of foodstuffs (eggs, salt, avocados, doughnuts, cheeses, olives, martinis, etc.) and utensils (forks, knives or toothpicks), appreciation of friends met both in life (including Alice Waters and Julia Child) and through books (Lord Byron, Anna Karenina) and random observations (what makes a good waiter) and advice of all kinds.
- Ad Hoc at Home, by Thomas Keller, hasn’t even been released and it is making my list. I have eaten at Keller’s Ad Hoc restaurant in Yountville, California (down Washington Street from Keller’s The French Laundry) and know this book will be a winner. I enjoyed Ad Hoc’s Monday night Fried Chicken dinner and if that is in the book, it is worth the price of the book. Expect 200 recipes for family-style meals and American comfort-food classics.
- Community Supported Agriculture, by Arlene Krasner, highlights...The Julia Child Supper Club with a recipe for Ratatouille.
- Examination Napa, w/ Dr. 2B - Chapter One: Jon Rusciano and his son explore the Alexander Valley and visit Stonestreet Vineyards and Winery and Lancaster Estate Winery.
Wine by Monty and Sara Preiser...
Falcor Wines Make a Splash highlights Falcor Napa Valley, a winery of class and style.
New Finds and Interesting News in 09 is the first of three articles that showcase favorite bottles of wine from newly discovered Napa Valley wineries.
South Beach Wine and Food Fest is at the Top (with a little help from Southern Wine & Spirits of Florida, Florida International University, Bruce Sanderson, Larry Stone, and Jeff McBride).
- The Grand Del Mar in San Diego, California — Sally is treated like royalty at this flamboyant, deluxe resort, complete with golf, pools, a spa, tennis and the award-winning Addison restaurant.
Traveling with Kids
Elaine Sosa Labalme continues to travel with her seven-year-old son Steven...
- Special Events: Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral, Florida
- Kid-Friendly Zones: St. Augustine and Amelia Island, Florida
- San Diego Hotel Week
- From November 13th through November 26th, 2009, sandiegohotelweek.com has negotiated amazing hot deals for you to experience the San Diego area to its best. Pamper yourself and your loved ones: escape and unwind in San Diego. Book your stay now and enjoy great deals on hotels, attractions, dining, and more...or call our reservation specialists at 1.800.216.1451.
- Butternut Squash – It’s a HIT with Phil Lempert!
- Dave’s Gourmet strikes again with their new Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce. The Supermarket Guru, Phil Lempert, recently reviewed the 2009 award winning sauce, proclaiming it “a HIT!” See what a little of this savory-sweet pasta sauce will do for your favorite autumnal dishes.
- Hot Sauce Wedding Favors
- Looking for the perfect way to make a "HOT" statement for your wedding? Our high quality private label hot sauce is the perfect solution. GourmetMikes Wedding Hot Sauce Favors are sure to please.
- Weddings by FlowerPetal
- FlowerPetal expertly handles the flowers for your wedding day - High style designs at a practical price, professionally arranged and hand delivered. Every bouquet, boutonniere and centerpiece is ready when you are.
- Split Bean Coffee
- For October Split Bean will be featuring their Pumpkin Marshmallows and Alfajores as well as their Fall Variety Packs. The Marshmallows flavors are Pumpkin, Eggnog, Spicy, and Chocolate Mallows. The Alfajores Variety Pack contains Pumpkin, Cranberry and Sweet Potato Alfajores, available only in Bite Size.
- GraceAnn Walden’s Food Lovers' Tour of San Francisco
- Join GraceAnn on Friday’s for a motorized cable car tour that stops at all the famous sights: Ghirardelli Square, Golden Gate Bridge, Russian Hill, and Fisherman’s Wharf. Tastes are offered at all the food stops. Tour visits a focaccia bakery in North Beach, a fortune cookie factory in Chinatown, a cheese tasting and a wine tasting near Russian Hill. Lunch is at Tony's Neapolitan Pizzeria. (415) 302-5898
- Mary Bloch's New Blog
- Check out Sally's Place contributor Mary Bloch's new blog, Around the Block, at marybloch.wordpress.com. Readers will find restaurant profiles, travel recommendations, cooking tips, and food trend discussions.
- New York City Chocolate Show, October 30th-November 1st
- The Chocolate Show makes a triumphant return to New York City! You’ll find culinary demonstrations galore, a Beauty Pavilion with chocolate cosmetics, the ever-popular KidZone, book signings, and many exhibitors (the most unexpected I’ve run across is the company making chocolate with camel’s milk). The Metropolitan Pavilion (125 West 18th Street) will host the Show from October 30th through November 1st. Advance tickets are available online only; you can also purchase tickets at the door. For more information, visit www.chocolateshow.com.
National Apple Month; National Dessert Month; National Pizza Month; National Popcorn Popping Month; National Caramel Month; Cookie Month; National Vegetarian Month; Seafood Month; Eat Better, Eat Together Month; Go Hog Wild-Eat Country Ham; National Bake and Decorate Month; National Chili Month; Sausage Month; and Spinach Lovers Month.
October 1: Homemade Cookies Day; World Vegetarian Day
October 4: National Frappe Day
October 9: Moldy Cheese Day; World Egg Day
October 10: National Cake Decorating Day
October 12: Columbus Day; Farmer's Day; Cookbook Launch Day
October 14: National Dessert Day
October 16: World Food Day
October 17: Sweetest Day
October 20: Brandied Fruit Day
October 21: National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day
October 22: National Nut Day
October 24: National Bologna Day
October 26: World Pasta Day; National Mincemeat Day
October 28: National Chocolates Day
October 30: National Candy Corn Day
October 31: Halloween; Carve a Pumpkin Day; National Caramel Apple Day